Who doesn’t love a delicious marinara? And how many ways can you create a meal with it? Katie of Real Food with Gratitude is an expert when it comes to marinara – and a whole lot more!
Photos courtesy of Katie of Real Food with Gratitude
Check out this recipe below, compliments of Katie. Be sure and visit her site for more great recipes and ways to use marinara to prepare creative meals in minutes.
Homemade Quick & Easy Marinara Sauce
Homemade marinara sauce at the ready for quick meals!
- 2 28oz cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tsp pre-minced garlic)
- 1/2-1 T sugar (coconut, white, brown) - I used white
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 2 T chopped fresh basil (I recommend fresh)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste (Note: I have left this out before on accident and it turned out ok)
- Step 1 In a dutch oven (or a large saucepan with lid) heat oil and onion and add garlic. Cook until tender.
- Step 2 Pour cans of tomatoes into bowl and break them up/squeeze them with your hands until all liquid then add to pan and stir.
- Step 3 Add remaining ingredients and stir completely.
- Step 4 Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes (the longer it simmers, the more the flavors will come together), but check after a few minutes to make sure its NOT boiling or burning. Stir occasionally.
- Step 5 Also great to make ahead and use later!